WMPGs purpose is to provide a high quality, community-oriented broadcast service to the people of Southern Maine by:
- providing a full-time schedule of music and culture, news and information;
- promoting awareness and discussion of local issues and activities;
- promoting awareness and discussion of global issues and culture;
- presenting artistic, cultural, and political perspectives which are underrepresented in mainstream media;
- promoting acceptance, understanding, and cooperation between people and cultures;
- fostering new and experimental uses of radio as a medium for creative expression;
- approaching radio as a dynamic medium for community dialogue, introspection, and expression.
Further, WMPG strives to be a training ground for students interested in broadcasting by:
- maintaining an authentic, full-functioning radio station;
- providing ongoing training and workshops in all aspects of radio;
- providing opportunities for hands-on experience in radio;
- maintaining local, national, and international broadcast industry contacts to assist students in furthering their involvement in broadcasting;
- providing opportunities for students to take management and decision-making roles.
Also, WMPG seeks to give citizens and community groups access to radio to share their interests, concerns, and talents by:
- providing low-cost broadcast training regardless of race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, lifestyle, age, or physical ability;
- providing opportunities for women and minorities and others who are underrepresented in mainstream media to participate in management and decision-making;
- encouraging the participation of community members with diverse backgrounds and perspectives;
- encouraging two-way communication between the station and citizens by de-emphasizing the distinction between broadcaster and listener and encouraging active listener participation in all facets of radio via letters, tapes, phone calls, community events, studio visits, and performances.